TOEIC listening exercise 3 – Instructions
You will listen to 10 conversations. These conversations are always between 2 people and are relatively short (2 to 5 interventions per person on average). You will then have to answer 3 questions, which will be both spoken out loud and written in your booklet. You will be offered 4 suggested answers (only written in your booklet). You will have to choose the answer that best fits the question and write it down on your answer sheet. It is essential to master this part in order to have a good score in TOEIC.
TOEIC listening exercise 3 – Tips
You will have about 8 seconds to select the right answer once you have heard the question.
Tip: Start answering the questions as soon as the recordings begin, given that the questions and suggested answers are written down. If you manage to answer one question quickly, you will then have more time to read the next one. This will allow you to anticipate the key points in the audio tracks. Answering the questions will become easier and you will gain more marks.
TOEIC listening exercise 3 – Example
Here is an example from GlobalExam’s online training base.
You hear the conversation:
- Helen, do you want us to share a taxi to the airport, or car pool? We’ll save on expenses and have a good laugh! As you know, the corporation/company? wants us to cut down on our expenses…
- Well, I would have loved to, but I am actually not flying there. I am going by bus. I have to leave tomorrow since the trip will take two days!
- Ah, that’s true, I forgot you were afraid of flying. But two days is a long time! Ok, it’s good for the environment but still, it is a long distance to go by bus! And did you have to take a paid leave day tomorrow?
- No, I worked overtime all of last month, so I negotiated a paid day off!
- Good for you! Well, good bus ride to Dallas then!
You then hear the first question:
1. What are the two people discussing?
You read the four proposed answers:
a. how they are going to get to the conference
b. where they are going on holiday
c. if they are going by bus
d. how they are looking forward to the conference
You must select the correct answer on your answer sheet: a.
The same goes for the 2 following questions, before listening to a new conversation.
Check the other listening exercices: