The 5 expressions in business English that you need to know
- Up in the air means something that is not yet settled, but we would like it to be settled. When we say that something is up in the air, we mean we don’t know what’s going to happen or when it will happen. Often everyone is waiting for some kind of decision or result.
Jim: When is the conference?
Emma: I don’t know. It’s still up in the air.
- Being downsized means that you or other people are losing their jobs. When a company downsizes, it reduces staff to save costs. You never want hear that the company is downsizing since you could lose your job.
Jim: Why’s Jeff looking so glum?
Emma: The company is being downsized, and he’s losing his job.
- Hit the ground running means that when you start a new job or project, you are expected to know what to do as soon as you begin and work hard right away. There’s no time to learn and ease into the new role. You should be ready and enthusiastic.
Jim: The new project starts next week.
Emma: Yeah, you better be ready to hit the ground running.
- Get the ball rolling means to start an activity. A presenter or meeting leader may start by looking at the group and saying ‘Let’s get the ball rolling.’ It can also be used as a question to invite other people to begin speaking, sharing ideas or asking questions.
Jim: Thanks to everyone for coming here. So, who wants to get the ball rolling?
Emma: Uh okay, I’ll be happy to start. Our figures show an increase in sales of 5% since last year.
- Stay on top of (something) means to remain completely in control of, aware about, or on schedule with a project or activity of some kind. It can be used as a warning or advice, particularly if some problem is anticipated. A manager or co-worker might tell you to stay on top of something if they think that you might not remain in control or be aware of what is going on with your work.
Jim: It’s going to be a busy month, and I have to deal with a lot of different people.
Emma: True. You better stay on top of the IT department. They tend to miss deadlines.
Jim: Thanks. I will.
So, see if you can hear one of these expressions at work this week. Better yet, see if you can use one of them in a conversation. It’ll make your business English sound natural.
GlobalExam’s Business English
Would like to learn more business expressions? Do you want improve your overall business English. Well, at GlobalExam, we have developed some new courses that are targeted at the business world. GlobalExam’s Business English courses are intended for professionals or anyone who has to use business English regularly.
Business English is a specific genre of English and probably much of the English which you learned in school wasn’t intended for the work environment. That’s why we have created courses that are specifically oriented toward business English.
Our Business English platform addressed the needs of the business environment: the soft skills, the culture, the vocabulary and a host of other aspects. You can develop your business English and feel confident because you’ll be able to express yourself fully and really understand what other people are saying. With confidence and greater understanding will come new opportunities and advancement. GlobalExam’s Business English offers different pathways. There are three courses or pathways that we currently offer with our business English platform:
Boost my Skills: This option will you get you feeling ready to deal with meetings, telephone, project management, emails and writings, reception and events, business trips, recruitment, intercultural, sales and negotiation, vocabulary, and grammar. Improve your confidence in each of these areas and your work life will improve.
Boost my Career: This option will suit you if you work or handle marketing, customer service, communication, HR, sales, purchasing, tourism, banking, logistics, or management.
Boost my Level: This option is for professionals who feel the need to work on all the skills. You could be a beginner or an expert; we have what you need.
We value flexibility and the ability to choose; this is why we provide options so that you don’t have to sit through many hours of material that isn’t relevant to your needs.
We ensure that our Business English offers up-to-date and targeted materials and services for you. We have
- Content with scripts and coaching as well
- Twenty-five paths that are scripted so you can get a sense immersion
- Five hundred genuine situations from the business environment
- Video coaching is available with a teacher
- Corrected, detailed feedback for questions so that you know what you did wrong and how to improve
- Certification for completion of each course
- Writing an English CV to make it concise, clear and professional
With all of the above items, you also will use a well-designed website, attractively presented and a delight to navigate. It’s all part of the service at GlobalExam. Test your English for free with Business English.