The TOEFL is one of the world’s most widely recognized tests to assess English proficiency and is administered all over the world, including in China.
This article will explain how to register to take the TOEFL, where you can take the test in China, and our tips on how to best prepare for your test.
So, here is everything you need to know about registering for and taking the TOEFL test in China.
Registering for the TOEFL in China
The TOEFL registration process for China is quite different from registering anywhere else in the world. Before proceeding with registration, your computer system needs to be able to read and process Simplified Chinese characters. Then, payment of the fee is required exclusively from Allpay or China Merchants Bank One Netcom bank accounts only (you’ll need to open an account with these payment systems if you don’t have one already).
In Mainland China (excluding Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau), the TOEFL is administered exclusively by the Ministry of Education or NEEA. Anyone wishing to take the TOEFL in China will need to register on the NEEA website.
Finally, once you open an account with the NEEA and pay the test fee (currently at 2100 yuan), the only thing left to do is download the registration form and choose a testing location at least 7 days prior to the test date.
The TOEFL testing sites in China
Here is a list of the testing sites available in Mainland China. They are mostly located in language institutes or colleges and schools in major Chinese cities. There’s bound to be one near you, no matter where you are in China.
- Province of Anhui
– Heifi: University of Science and Technology of China
- Province of Beijing
– Beijing: Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing Normal University, Beijing International Studies University
- Province of Chongqing
– Chongqing: Sichuan International Studies University
- Province of Fujian
– Xiamen: Xiamen University
– Fuzhou: Advisory Center of Fujian Self-Taught Education Office
- Province of Gansu
– Lanzhou: Lanzhou University, The High School Attached to Northwest Normal University
- Province of Guangdong
– Guangzhou: Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
– Shantou: Shantou University
– Shenzhen: Normal College of Shenzhen University
- Province of Guanxi
– Nanning: Guangxi University
- Province of Hainan
– Haikou: Foreign Languages School of Hainan University
- Province of Hebei
– Shijiazhuang: Hebei Normal University
- Province of Heilongjiang
– Haerbin: Heilongjiang University
- Province of Henan
– Kaifeng: Kaifeng University
– Luoyang: Henan University of Science & Technology
– Zhengzhou: Higher Education Admission Office of Henan Province
- Province of Hubei
– Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Province of Hunan
– Changsha: Hunan University
- Province of Inner Mongolia
– Hohhot: Inner Mongolia Agricultural University
- Province of Jiangsu
– Nanjing: Nanjing University
– Nantong: Nantong Educational Equipment & Works Studies Center
– Suzhou: Soochow University
– Taicang: Suzhou Chien-Shuing Institute of Technology
– Yangzhou: Yangzhou University
- Province of Jiangxi
– Nanchang: Jiangxi Normal University
- Province of Jilin
– Changchun: Jilin University
– Yanji: YanBian University
- Province of Liaoning
– Dalian: Dalian University of Foreign Languages
– Shenyang: Northeastern University of China, School of Foreign Languages, Shenyang Normal University
- Province of Shaanxi
– Xi’an: Xi’an International Studies University, Shaanxi Normal University, Zi’An Jiaotong University
- Province of Shandong
– Jinan: Shandong University, Shandong Normal University
– Lini: Lini University
– Qingdao: Ocean University of China
– Weifang: Shandong Vocational College of Science & Technology
– Weihai: School of Continuing Education, Shandong University, Beihai
– Yantai: Yantai No. 2 Middle School of Shandong Province
- Province of Shanghai
– Shanghai: Shanghai Jiaotong University, International Test Center Sisu, Shanghai High School, Shanghai University of Finance & Economics, Shanghai Open University, Shanghai University of International Business & Economics, Shanghai University
- Province of Shanxi
– Taiyuan: Shanxi University, College of International Education Exchange, Taiyuan University of Technology, Taiyuan No. 2 Foreign Language School
- Province of Sichuan
– Chengdu: Sichuan University, University of Electronic Science & Technology of China, Chengdu University of Information Technology, Southwestern University of Finance & Economics, Liulin Campus, Southwestern University of Finance & Economics
– Mianyang: Southwest University of Science & Technology
- Province of Tianjin
– Tianjin: Tianjin Foreign Studies University
- Province of Xinjiang
– Wulumuqi: Xinjian University
- Province of Yunnan
– Kunming: Yunnan University
- Province of Zhejiang
– Hangzhou: Zhejiang Gongshang University
– Ningbo: Ningbo University
Prepare for the TOEFL
Now that you’ve registered to take the TOEFL in China, the only thing left to do is properly prepare for the test so you can get your best score!
The NEEA provides resources to prepare for the test to order directly from their website, or you are free to choose revision and study guides from ETS written specifically for Chinese candidates. These include several practice tests and exercises to simulate real testing conditions.
However, you’ll surely find that the most convenient way to train for the TOEFL is online with GlobalExam. The GlobalExam platform gives you access to best resources for your preparation,such as practice exercises, tips for your training and real-life TOEFL simulations so you can get a feel for the test format.
You can also get vocabulary and grammar revision files to boost your English level overall so you’ll be ready to take on the TOEFL and ace all four of the language skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing. Let your TOEFL journey in China start with GlobalExam!