Get a good TOEFL score !
The TOEFL is a test which is recognised worldwide. It measures the candidates’ level of academic English, used in English-speaking universities. This Test Of English as a Foreign Language is today required by many universities. To know more about the registration process, check the following article: how to register for TOEFL IBT? We also have written some articles to help you find test centers in Canada, in Germany, in Belgium, in Switzerland, in Ireland, in UK and in Netherlands.
As well as the difficulty of the length of the exam (4 hours), the TOEFL can be overwhelming for many candidates as it tests them on 4 different skills : reading comprehension, listening comprehension, but also speaking and writing.
Your TOEFL score
The TOEFL exists in several forms, in this article, we talk about the TOEFL iBT (Internet-based test) because it is the most commonly used. Each version has its own score scale.
When you take the TOEFL iBT, you get a mark between 0 and 120. Each of the 4 exam sections (reading, listening, speaking, and writing) is marked out of 30. The final mark is, therefore the sum of these 4 section marks.
In the reading and listening, your score can be interpreted this way:
- If you got between 0 and 14/30, your comprehension level is weak.
- If you got between 15 and 21/30, your comprehension level is average.
- If you got between 22 and 30/30, your comprehension level is high.
The speaking is first marked out of 4, but it is then converted out of 30:
- If you got between 0 and 9/30, your level is weak.
- If you got between 10 and 17/30, your level is limited.
- If you got between 18 and 25/30, your level is average.
- If you got between 26 and 30/30, your level is good.
The writing section is first marked out of 5, the score is then converted out of 30 points as well:
- If you got between 1 and 16/30, your level is limited.
- If you got between 17 and 23/30, your level is average.
- If you got between 24 and 30/30, your level is good.
You will get an overall mark out of a total of 120.
Source : ETS website
TOEFL Scores and Universities
This is not a pass or fail exam, universities, schools and some companies set their own requirement. For this reason, we advise you to check the score needed to enter the University of your choice before you start your training. It will help you to set a goal and to train in consequence. Here is a list of some universities and the TOEFL score they want you to have to enter it or to validate specific diplomas.
- Harvard: 100/120, with minimum 25/30 in each section.
- Oxford : 109/120.
- Stanford: 100/120.
- Berkeley: 68/120.
- Boston University: 80/120.
- London Business School: 105/120.
- INSEAD (France): 105/120.
- HEC (France): 100/120.
- ESSEC Business School : 90/120.
- Liverpool Hope University : 79/120
If you are looking towards to improve your TOEFL score, we can help you with the best e-learning platform with training exercises, study materials and real time exams, which you can take in the real conditions of the TOEFL.
It’s just a one click registration process. Try us and improve your TOEFL score.
Training before taking the test
Training for the TOEFL IBT test is (almost) mandatory. GlobalExam can help you with your preparation. The platform offers many mock exams and exercises with corrections, along with vocabulary and grammar study sheets. You will also find a lot of information on the blog such as the test format, recommandations, resources for your training, testimonials, etc.
Start your training with a free TOEFL IBT sample test on GlobalExam! You just need to register!